How to Get a Library Card
Residents and Nonresidents
- Cards are free to Maryland residents. Out-of-state residents pay $15.00 per year even if living temporarily in the state of Maryland.
- Proof of address is required. A card can be issued without proof, but the customer must present proof of address at the next library visit. Any of the following will be accepted as proof of address:
- Maryland ID issued by Maryland Department of Motor Vehicles (Driver’s License, Age of Majority Card)
- Utility bill showing local address
- Checkbook showing local address
- Postmarked envelope from a business or professional person showing current address
- Military ID
- ID of parent/guardian if minor
- A parent /guardian must sign for applicants under the age of 16. A child must be present to receive a card. A My First Library Card intended for children birth to grade 2 is available.
- The borrower or guardian is responsible for the card’s security, for any material checked out, and for any charges incurred.
- Customers should report lost or stolen cards immediately as well as changes to their name or contact information (address, phone, email).
- St. Mary’s County Library cards may be used at any public library in Calvert, Charles and St. Mary’s County as well as any public library in Maryland.
Download the application and bring the completed application to any branch or visit any branch and complete an application. Bring in proof of address.
- Submit the online application designating at which library branch you wish to pick up your card.
- Within 2 working days, you will receive an email containing your library card number and PIN (Personal Identification Number) allowing you to use the library’s online services.
- You must present proof of address when you pick up your library card at the designated branch.
- If you are under 16, a parent/guardian must be present when you pick up your card.