Loan Periods and Fines/Fees: Effective July 1, 2011
|Item||Loan Period||Overdue Fee|
|Books except BookXpress||21 days||25¢/day; $10 max|
|Music CDs, CD-ROMs, Magazines, WoW Bags||21 days||25¢/day; $10 max|
|BookXpress||14 days||$1/day; $20 max|
|DVDs, Blu-rays||7 days||$1/day; $20 max|
|DVDXpress||3 days||$2/day; $20 max|
|NonFiction DVDs, Books on CD, PlayAways||21 days||$1/day; $20 max|
|Returned check fee||$ 15 per check|
|Unclaimed hold fee||50¢ each item|
|Collection Agency fee||$10|
Fees for Lost or Damaged Items:
- Replacement cost of the item plus $5 processing fee
- All cases (except Books on CD) $5
- Books on CD cases $10
- Each Book on CD disk $10
- Kit Bag $5
- Playaway Lanyard $5
Limits Per Card:
- Maximum of 75 items checked out
- 10 of each: DVDs, Blu-rays, Books on CDs, PlayAways, and Music CDs
- 2 DVDXpress
Check Out of Library Materials: Customers with a valid library card (owing less than $10 in fines), may check out library materials. If the customer does not have the library card, he/she should present another ID or verify information on the account in order to check out library materials.
Renewals: Renewals can be in person, online, by phone or by email. Most items may be renewed up to 4 times if not on hold for another user. Items borrowed from Maryland Libraries other than Calvert, Charles or St. Mary’s (Marina items) may be renewed once if permitted by lending library. No renewals are allowed on BookXpress and DVDXpress.
Blocked Cards: Customers with a balance of $10 or more will be blocked from checking out, renewing, placing holds, and downloading books.
Collection Agency: An account with a balance of $25 or more, if not resolved within 59 days of the due date, is automatically sent to a collection agency, even if all items have been returned and a $25 fine remains. A $10 collection service charge is added to the account.
Overdue Notices & Bills Schedule:
- Customers with email: Courtesy reminder 5 days prior to due date, 7-day overdue notice, 21-day overdue notice, 45-day overdue notice.
- Customers without email: 21-day overdue notice via automated phone service, 45-day notice via the US mail.
- Bills are sent to all account with $25 or more in fines, even if materials have been returned.
- Items not returned within 30 days are marked “lost” and become a fine on the customer’s account.
- Holds will be held for five (5) days from date of notification. There is a $0.50 fine for each unclaimed item.
- Interlibrary Loan items from Maryland libraries other than St. Mary’s, Calvert and Charles may be renewed if permitted by the lending library.
- Library cards are blocked from use if a customer has an account balance that exceeds $10 or has 75 items checked out
An “unclaimed hold” is an item that is not picked up within five (5) days of notification and is returned to the lending library. If the hold is not picked up, extended, or cancelled, the item will be removed from the Hold Shelf and a $0.50 fine, per item, will be charged.
LOST ITEM POLICY
The replacement cost of a lost or damaged item is the replacement value identified in the catalog record and will be posted on the customer’s account. The Library will accept payment for the item or the identical item in new condition. No substitutes will be accepted.
If a customer returns an item that has been recorded as “lost and paid,” a refund will be issued upon presentation of the original receipt. All requests for refunds must occur within six (6) months of payment. The refund will be the amount paid by the customer for the lost item, less a five dollars ($5.00) handling charge. If the cost of the item is under $5.00, there will be no refund due to the cost of the handling charge.