Southern Maryland JobSource Mobile Career Center (MCC):
Job seekers can stop by the MCC to get job counseling and resume help, search for jobs, and get connected with Southern Maryland JobSource. The Coordinator will help register job seekers with Maryland Workforce Exchange. The MCC schedule:
Charlotte Hall 1st Thursday 9 am – 1 pm
Leonardtown 2nd Tuesday 1-4 pm
Lexington Park 4th Wednesday 9 am – 1 pm
Please note that the MCC visit may be cancelled in the event of inclement weather. Contact 240-925-4806 to check the status.
New Year, New Job!
Job Searching Workshop
This workshop is designed to assist with navigating through the Maryland Workforce Exchange (MWE) system to conduct Job Search. Participants will learn how to job search utilizing additional career sites to enhance employability, learn tips on how to complete an online application and learn how to conduct a successful job search. Professionals will help review position descriptions and utilizes ONET online resource center to enhance your resume and application content. In partnership with JobSource, St. Mary’s One Stop Career Center. Registration required.
Charlotte Hall Thursday, January 7, 6-8 p.m. Register
Lexington Park Tuesday, February 9, 2-4 p.m. Register
Leonardtown Wednesday, March 16, 2-4 p.m. Register
Interview Skills Workshop
This workshop will introduce and answer questions as they relate to interviewing. Discussed will be purpose, preparation, body language, salary, legal and illegal questions, closings and follow-up. Participants will have a clear understanding of how to prepare and conduct themselves during an interview. In partnership with JobSource, St. Mary’s One Stop Career Center. Registration required.
Charlotte Hall Thursday, January 28, 6-8 p.m. Register
Lexington Park Tuesday, February 28, 2-4 p.m. Register
Leonardtown Monday, March 28, 2-4 p.m. Register
Job Search One on One Help
Drop in and receive one on one help with job searching and accessing online applications. No registration required.
Lexington Park Mondays, 2-4 p.m.
Charlotte Hall Tuesdays, 2-4 p.m.
Leonardtown Wednesdays, 2-4 p.m.
Our Job Search Center Provides
- Free job search information
- Well-trained & helpful staff
- Public computers with high-speed Internet, Wi-Fi, fax, copier, scanner
- Free classes including a computer basic skills series and a Microsoft Office series
Job Search Websites
- Government Jobs – Southern MD online contains MD state jobs, Calvert, Charles and St. Mary’s County jobs, Charles County Public Schools, College of Southern MD, Indian Head (IHDIV, NSWC) NAVAIR, St. Mary’s County Recreation and parks, and USA Jobs
- JobZone – Mid-Atlantic Career Fairs
- Southern Maryland Classifieds – a local website that targets the tri-county area
- The St. Mary’s County Technology Handbook – lists more than 200 technology firms and dozens of supporting organizations
- Federal jobs nationwide
- Department of the Navy civilian jobs
- St. Mary’s County Public Schools Human Resources
- St. Mary’s County Adult Education Program – Classes in adult basic education, English as a second language, and GED Preparation
- Maryland Higher Education Commission
- Southern Maryland Higher Education Center
- College of Southern Maryland
- St. Mary’s College of Maryland
- Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
- College Entrance Exams
- General College Information
- Scholarship/Financial Aid Information
- St. Mary’s County Library – See the “Scholarships- Fellowships and Loans” database under the “Education” heading.
- St. Mary’s County Business, Education, and Community Alliance, Inc. – Apply for numerous local scholarships with just one application.
- Financial Aid
- GoodCall Scholarship Search
- Student Aid
- College Board
- Eastern Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators: Students & Families
Note: Annual College Fair- Held on the 3rd Tuesday in September at the Hollywood Fire Department, this event provides information on colleges throughout the US, as well as scholarship information.
- CareerOneStop –Your pathway to career success. Tools to help job seekers, students, businesses, and career professionals. Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- O*NET OnLine –Detailed descriptions of the world of work for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals, students, researchers, and more.
- mySkills myFuture –Choose a job you’ve had and explore careers requiring similar skills.
- My Next Move –Find careers through keyword search; by browsing industries that employ different types of workers; or through the O*NET Interest Profiler, a tool that offers personalized career suggestions based on your interests and level of work experience.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook –Information about hundreds of different types of jobs and careers.
- Online Reputation Management for Job Seekers –Resources for job seekers to ensure your online reputation is protected.
- Wall Street Journal- Career Journal –Daily updates of critical news, features and trends that are relevant to the job market.
- The Riley Guide –A collection of online sites and services to help with your job search.
- St. Mary’s County Library Online Resources –Go to “Testing & Career Guidance” heading
- Career Help–resume help and other job resources
- LearningExpress Library–occupational resources and tests
- St. Mary’s County Library’s computer-related tutorials –covers technology topics (computer basics, email, Microsoft Office)
- Purdue OWL Job Search Writing Lab
Maryland One Stop Career Center- Southern Maryland Job Source
This local government office is for all your employment needs providing free access to copiers, faxes, phones, computers, videos, books, workshops, and resume writing assistance for job search needs.
Room 1037, 23110 Leonard Hall Drive
P. O. Box 282
Leonardtown, MD 20650
Maryland Workforce Exchange
Enables you to create and maintain your resume, search current job openings, and benefit from other career resources.
St. Mary’s County Literacy Council
Volunteers help adults with reading, comprehension, writing, and basic math skills. They also work with foreign-born students who need to learn English as a second language.
Located in the Lexington Park Library, 21677 FDR Blvd, Lexington Park, MD 20653