Pause! Stop! Play!
Make screen time fun and educational for your child.
Pause. . . use wisely!
- Technology is a powerful learning tool BUT it is not a parent or teacher. Use technology to enrich your child’s life
Stop. . . be selective!
- Be in control. Technology is constantly changing, but “more” or “newer” aren’t necessarily better.
- Be choosy. When selecting media, ask: Does it engage my child? Does it invite my child to participate or ask him to do something? Is it educational and informational? Is there violent or adult content? Is it really educational or simply labeled educational?
Play. . .together!
- Use the app or game before introducing it to your child. Then, use the technology with your child.
- Talk about the content of the TV show, video or game at a later date. Repetition is important for your child’s learning.
These tips are from the Ready at Five organization
Sites that discuss screen time and young children:
- National Institute of Health
- Fred Rogers Center for Early Learning and Children’s Media
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Document developed by NAEYC and Fred Rogers Center
- Article on screen time from the Cooney Center
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Ready at Five Technology Tips 1
- Ready at Five Technology Tips 2
Review sites for Apps and eBooks for kids