The St. Mary’s County Library is pleased to receive selected gifts. Once given, gifts become the property of the Library. The Library reserves the right to accept or reject any or all gifts. The Library reserves the right to decide on the conditions of display, location of, and means of access to the gift materials.
Gifts may be granted in several ways: 1) an endowment fund, 2) a one-time cash donation, 3) books, periodicals, AV, or other library materials, 4) equipment, furnishings and other 3-dimensional objects. Gifts may be given without restriction or they may be given for a specific purpose. When gifts are given without restriction, the Library will make the final decision on use or other disposition of the gift. Gifts for a specific purpose require prior authorization from the Library Director. Requests for special handling must be made at the time of donation.
Types of Gifts:
- Endowments – Endowment gifts will be added to an endowment fund held in an interest-bearing investment account. This fund will be used “…to obtain essential communications media: books, periodicals, computer hardware and/or software, films, videotapes, etc….” and “shall not be used to correct budget imbalances or buy non-media-oriented equipment or supplies.” (Board of Trustees Resolution, 11/17/87). Endowment funds may be used for non-maintenance library enhancements: for example, art, murals, furnishings, building additions or modifications (such as adding a fireplace), or grounds beautifications. The final decision for the disposition of endowment funds rests with the Board of Library Trustees.
- One-time cash donations – Cash donations may be made to a specific branch library or to the system as a whole. In the case of gifts to a specific branch, the Branch Manager may accept the gifts. Unless the donor indicates the kind of items he/she prefers to be purchased, purchasing decisions will be made by the Branch Manager for amounts up to $5,000. In case of gifts over $5,000 to a specific branch, purchasing decisions will be made by the Branch Manager and the Director. In the case of gifts to the system in general, the Director will accept the gifts. Unless the donor indicates the kind of items he/she prefers to be purchased, the gift will be added to the endowment fund or added the Friends of St Mary’s County Library fund.
- Books, periodicals, AV, or other library materials – All materials acquired through gifts are subject to the basic standards of selection outlined in the Library’s Materials Selection Policy. Physical condition is considered as well as the cost and availability of cataloging. The Library does not provide valuation of gifts for tax deduction or other purposes. As with one-time cash gifts, they may be made to a specific branch or to the system as a whole and the decision on the disposition of the gift will be made either by the Branch Manager or the Library Director, as appropriate. The library reserves the right to donate gifted materials to the Friends of St Mary’s County Library.
- Plaques, furnishings, artwork and other 3-dimensional objects – Memorials and gifts in the form of plaques, furnishings, artwork and other 3-dimensional objects are subject to approval. Gifts of trees, shrubs or plants require space and maintenance considerations. Donors wishing to make these types of gifts must obtain prior approval from the Library Director, who will seek final approval from the Board of Library Trustees.
St. Mary’s County Library and the Friends of the St. Mary’s County Library are happy to accept donations of the following:
- Materials in good condition
- Textbooks with a copyright not older than 3 years
- Audiobooks (CD only)
- Music CDs
- Board games and puzzles (without missing pieces)
Charlotte Hall and Lexington Park cannot accept large quantities of donations (trunk full or truckload). These can be donated directly to the Friends of the St. Mary’s County Library room at the Leonardtown Library. The room is located in the rear of the building across from the back entrance. Donations are only accepted when the library is open:
Monday-Thursday 9 AM – 8 PM
Friday-Saturday 9 AM – 5 PM
St. Mary’s County Library and the Friends of the St. Mary’s County Library cannot accept the following:
- National Geographic magazines
- VHS tapes
- Cassette tapes
- Computer programs
- Books on cassette
- Books damaged by mold, mildew, water, or smoke (including cigarette smoke)