Looking for a job? Find local help, research jobs and careers online, get tips for applying for jobs, and more!
Get Local Help with Your Job Search
The Maryland’s American Job Center in Lexington Park is open Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. (Hours may be impacted by COVID-19)
21795-F N. Shangri-La Drive
Lexington Park, Maryland 20653
Researching Careers Online
Use these resources to research a career before submitting a job application.
- CareerOneStop –Research careers, view occupation and industry profiles, and learn about salaries and benefits.
- My Next Move –Find careers through keyword search; by browsing industries that employ different types of workers; or through the O*NET Interest Profiler, a tool that offers personalized career suggestions based on your interests and level of work experience.
- mySkills myFuture –Choose a job you’ve had and explore careers requiring similar skills.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook –Information about hundreds of different types of jobs and careers.
- O*NET OnLine –Detailed descriptions of the world of work for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals, students, researchers, and more.
- College of Southern Maryland’s Career Coach – Browse Careers
Be aware of employment related scams. The Maryland Workforce Exchange provides tips for recognizing and avoiding scams and the Federal Trade Commission provides additional information about scams and how to report them.
Find a job opening online:
- Southern Maryland Classifieds – a local website that targets the tri-county area
- Southern Maryland Government Jobs – Southern MD online contains MD state jobs, Calvert, Charles and St. Mary’s County jobs, Charles County Public Schools, College of Southern MD, Indian Head (IHDIV, NSWC) NAVAIR, St. Mary’s County Recreation and parks, and USA Jobs
- The St. Mary’s County Tech Book – lists more than 200 technology firms and dozens of supporting organizations
- JobZone – Mid-Atlantic Career Fairs
- Federal jobs nationwide
- Department of the Navy civilian jobs
- St. Mary’s County Public Schools Human Resources
- CareerOneStop Job Search
- Indeed Job Search
- ZipRecruiter Job Search
- Maryland Workforce Exchange
Applying for Jobs
Resources for resume and cover letter writing, online applications, and interviewing:
- Enoch Pratt Free Library’s Steps to Applying for a Job Online
- CareerOneStop’s Resumes, Cover Letters, Online Applications, and More
- College of Southern Maryland’s Resume Builder
- Perdue OWL Job Applications Worksheets
- Brainfuse HelpNow! Adult Learning Center (library card required) – includes resume and cover letter help from live experts
- Perdue OWL Tips for Writing a Resume
- Perdue OWL Tips for Writing a Cover Letter
- University of Maryland Career Center Resumes & Cover Letters Tips and Samples
- CareerOneStop’s Interview and Negotiate
- University of Maryland University College Interviewing Guide
Licenses and Vocational Education
Licensing is required for a variety of occupations:
- Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulation handles licensing for a number of occupations, including cosmetologists, master electricians, plumbers, and more
- Maryland Department of Health handles licensing for residential child care program professionals and health professionals
- Maryland Department of Education handles licensing for teachers and librarians
- Search for private career schools in Maryland
- Maryland DLLR list of eligible training providers, and information about potential funding for eligible individuals
- Take practice tests for a number of certifications and licenses in the LearningExpress Library (library card required)
Adult and Higher Education
Adult Education and Literacy:
- Adult Education Program at College of Southern Maryland – Classes in adult basic education, English as a second language, and GED preparation
- St. Mary’s County Literacy Council – Volunteers help adults with reading, comprehension, writing, and basic math skills, as well as English as a second language
- Local Institutions:
- Scholarship/Financial Aid Information
- Education Benefits for Veterans – Department of Veterans Affairs
- St. Mary’s County Business, Education, and Community Alliance, Inc. (BECA) – Apply for numerous local scholarships with just one application.
- Financial Aid
- Student Aid
- College Board
- St. Mary’s County Annual College Fair- Held on the 3rd Tuesday in September at the Hollywood Fire Department, this event provides information on colleges throughout the US, as well as scholarship information
Interested in working for the library? Check our Jobs at the Library page for current opportunities.