First, you’ll need a library card to access many of our services, including live homework help, online research resources, and borrowing books and other materials. All St. Mary’s County Public Schools students have a library card (SMART card) by default (unless a parent/guardian opted out). The card number is smcps + the student’s network username (smcpsabc1234), and the PIN/password is the month and day of the student’s birthday (eg. June 1 birthday is 0601). See more about the SMART card. If you’re not an SMCPS student, apply online for a card, or visit any Library branch to get a card! Ages 15 and under must have a parent/guardian present when applying for a card in the Library.
Search the catalog for books and other materials.
Need help with specific homework questions? Brainfuse HelpNow! provides live help from a tutor, available 1 – 11 p.m., daily.
Research for Reports and Papers (you may need your library card number to access some of these resources)
- African-American History Online – Provides information on the people, events, and topics of African-American history.
- Gale In Context: Elementary – provides authoritative, age-appropriate, curriculum-aligned digital content covering a broad range of educational topics including Animals, Arts, Geography Literature, Social Studies, Technology, and more. With a modern design and simple navigation, Gale In Context: Elementary makes it easy for young users to explore content and gain comfort with database searching.
- Gale Academic OneFile Select – collection of scholarly journals and general interest titles that covers everything from art and literature to economics and the sciences.
- Gale in Context: Middle School – created specifically for middle schoolers, this database combines reference content with age-appropriate videos, newspapers, magazines, primary sources, and much more.
- Gale in Context: High School – resource for papers, projects, and presentations that empowers the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills with content aligned to national and state curriculum standards.
- Gale OneFile: U.S. History – provides access to scholarly journals and magazines useful to both novice historians as well as advanced academic researchers. The database offers balanced coverage of events in U.S. history and scholarly work being established in the field.
- Gale OneFile: World History – provides access to scholarly journals and magazines useful to both novice historians as well as advanced academic researchers. The database offers balanced coverage of events in world history and scholarly work being established in the field.
- Gale OneFile: Science – provides access to scholarly journals and magazines covering the latest scientific developments. Key subjects covered by the database include biological sciences, computing, engineering, and technology.
- Brainfuse HelpNow! – writing labs, skills building, and more available 24/7 and live tutoring 7 days a week, 1 – 11 p.m.
- Gale Presents: Peterson’s Test and Career Prep – practice tests to improve scores on the SAT, AP Exams, ASVAB, and many other tests. Lessons and extra practice for your classes, too, as well as career search and resume preparation.
- Learn a new language with Mango Languages!
- Scholarships – Fellowships and Loans – College-bound? Find ways to pay your tuition with this resource.