How to Get a Library Card
- Apply Online (Click the link at the top of that page to “register now.”)
- Apply in person
- Visit any branch for an application or bring a completed application , along with proof of address (Maryland Driver’s License, Maryland Age of Majority Card, or Maryland ID issued by the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration; utility bill showing local address; checkbook showing local address; postmarked envelope from a business or professional person showing current local address; military ID; ID of parent, if a minor with no other ID).
- Receive a notice that your library card is expiring? Renew your card online.
- Cards are free to Maryland residents.
- Out-of-state residents pay $20.00 per year.
- There is no minimum age to get a library card, but a parent/guardian must sign for applicants under the age of 16. A child must be present to receive a card. Your signature on your child’s application indicates that you accept responsibility for supervising your child’s use of the library
- The borrower or guardian is responsible for the card’s security, for any material checked out, and for any charges incurred.
- Customers should report lost or stolen cards immediately as well as changes to their name or contact information (address, phone, email).
- St. Mary’s County Library cards may be used at any public library in Calvert, Charles and St. Mary’s County as well as any public library in Maryland.
- Kids’ Card: A special card available for our youngest residents under the age of 18. Please ask about kids’ cards at the circulation desk.
View our loan policies and fees.