How to Get a Library Card
- Apply Online (Click the link at the top of that page to “register now.”)
- Apply in person
- Visit any branch for an application or bring a completed application , along with proof of address.
- Receive a notice that your library card is expiring? Renew your card online.
Who Can Get a Library Card?
- Cards are free to Maryland residents. Out-of-state residents pay $15.00 per year even if living temporarily in the state of Maryland.
- Proof of address is required. A card can be issued without proof, but the customer must present proof of address at the next library visit. Any of the following will be accepted as proof of address:
- Maryland ID issued by Maryland Department of Motor Vehicles (Driver’s License, Age of Majority Card)
- Utility bill showing local address
- Checkbook showing local address
- Postmarked envelope from a business or professional person showing current address
- Military ID
- ID of parent/guardian if minor
- A parent /guardian must sign for applicants under the age of 16. A child must be present to receive a card.
- The borrower or guardian is responsible for the card’s security, for any material checked out, and for any charges incurred.
- Customers should report lost or stolen cards immediately as well as changes to their name or contact information (address, phone, email).
- St. Mary’s County Library cards may be used at any public library in Calvert, Charles and St. Mary’s County as well as any public library in Maryland.
View our loan policies and fees.