It is the philosophy of the Board of Library Trustees to keep the library open for all scheduled hours. The Board recognizes, however, that it is sometimes necessary to curtail the hours due to inclement weather. The Library Director, or manager designated by the Director, will make the decision if weather conditions warrant closing the library. Generally, if the county government closes, the library will also close.
Sometimes due to power or equipment failures, a location may be without lights or climate control.
- In the event of a power failure without generator backup, library staff will monitor SMECO and other sources to get updates via cellphone or other sources, if possible.
- The location will remain open if possible, with staff using manual means to promote circulation.
- If prolonged power outages create unhealthy work conditions, the location may close at the discretion of the Branch Manager.
- Locations without power and at which power is not expected to be restored immediately will close ½ hour before sunset.
- Per OSHA guidelines, if the interior temperature falls below 65 degree F or rises above 85 degrees, the location will close.