Video games have become part of our culture and, like movies, have the ability to instruct and inspire as well as entertain. To engage young minds in the library, create a sense of community, and provide current resources to meet recreational and learning needs, the library is providing video game systems.
The Library will make available video games rated E-T, as assigned by the Entertainment Software Rating Board. Game purchases follow the St. Mary’s County Materials and Selection Policy.
Use of the Library’s Video Game System
- The library will provide customers between 12 and 18 years of age one game controller upon request.
- The Library will make game systems and controllers available on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations on the gaming equipment are not accepted.
- Only games from the Library’s collection may be played on the Library’s game system, or online games that have been vetted by the library. Installing, removing, or altering games or software or attaching outside equipment to the video game system is not permitted.
- Any malfunction of the video game system and gaming equipment should be immediately reported to Library staff. The Library accepts that equipment wears out and breaks over time, and will not hold customers responsible for normal wear or malfunctions.
- All equipment will be returned to the service desk thirty (30) minutes prior to Library closing time.
- Gaming activities are covered under the library’s Behavior Rules and Suspension of Privileges policy and will not be disruptive of library operations.