Job closes 11:59 PM on September 25, 2022
POSITION: Library Assistant I - 2 Positions, Part-time
LOCATION: Charlotte Hall Library
HOURS: Two positions: 21 and 28 hours per week ; Weekdays, one evening, rotating Saturdays
BENEFITS: 42 or 56 hours PTO; 7% mandatory retirement contribution; Optional: credit union, 457 plan; AFLAC
- High School Diploma or GED
- Six (6) months or more of customer service experience
- General interest in reading and literature, and an awareness of trends in popular culture as well as current news events as they relate to customer interests and needs
- Ability to learn St. Mary’s County Library policies and procedures
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, Library trustees, local government elected and appointed officials, community leaders, vendors, and citizens
- Ability to learn to operate relevant computer systems (including hardware and software), current audio-visual equipment, and office machines
- Excellent communication skills, both in writing and orally
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent decision-making and problem solving skills with emphasis on personal responsibility and willingness to deal with issues at hand
- Provides friendly, high quality customer service to Library customers under the direction of the Assistant Branch Manager, Customer Service.
- Performs circulation procedures, such as checking materials in and out, checking hold lists, conducting financial transactions, answering the phone
- Greets customers and provides directions or refers them to appropriate staff members if needed
- Assists customers with: Basic information and reader’s advisory questions; Basic computer, eBook, email, and internet questions; Self-checkout machine, copier, fax machine, and printer; Use of Library resources and databases; Information on Library activities, facilities, and services
- Resolves basic customer concerns about fines or damaged items, Library policies,
- Performs other duties and participates in special projects, as assigned
HOW TO APPLY:
St. Mary’s County Library is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Law requires all applicants to show proof of identity and right to work in U.S.