Job closes 11:59 PM on November 14, 2022
POSITION: Librarian I, Part-time
LOCATION: Charlotte Hall Library
HOURS: 28 hours per week; Three shifts 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., one shift 12 - 8 p.m., rotating Saturdays
SALARY: $20.82 per hour
BENEFITS: 56 hours PTO; 7% mandatory retirement contribution; Optional: credit union, 457 plan; AFLAC
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Two years or more of customer service experience or equivalent training, education and/or experience
- Must complete the Library Associate Training Institute (LATI) from the Maryland State Library or 9 hours of formal academic course work in library science within two years of hire.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies
- General interest in reading and literature, and an awareness of trends in popular culture as well as current news events as they relate to customer interests and needs
- Ability to learn St. Mary’s County Library policies and procedures
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, Library trustees, local government elected and appointed officials, community leaders, vendors, and citizens
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems (including hardware and software), current audio-visual equipment, and office machines
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent decision-making and problem solving skills with emphasis on personal responsibility and willingness to deal with issues at hand.
- Provides friendly, high quality customer service to Library customers under the direction of the Assistant Branch Manager, Information Services or Assistant Branch Manager, Youth Services. Performs a variety of information, reader’s advisory, collection, programming, and outreach duties.
- Assists customers in finding answers to a broad range of questions using Library resources and databases
- Guides customers in selecting appropriate materials for reading/viewing/listening
- Assists customers with technology-related questions and issues
- Plans and presents Library-related programs, events, classes, and tours
- Participates in the Library Associate Training Institute or attends Library and Information Science classes
- Performs other duties and participates in special projects, as assigned
HOW TO APPLY:
St. Mary’s County Library is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Law requires all applicants to show proof of identity and right to work in U.S.