Job closes 11:59 PM on June 1, 2023
POSITION: Librarian I - Youth and Adult Services, Part-time
LOCATION: Charlotte Hall Library
HOURS: 28 hours per week; Weekdays, one evening, rotating Saturdays
SALARY: Grade 4: $21.12/hour OR Grade 5: $23.68/hour with MLIS
BENEFITS: PTO; Mandatory State Retirement Plan; Optional: 457 Plan, Aflac
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Two years or more of customer service experience or equivalent training, education and/or experience
- Must complete the Library Associate Training Institute (LATI) from the Maryland State Library or 9 hours of formal academic course work in library science within two years of hire.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies
- General interest in reading and literature, and an awareness of trends in popular culture as well as current news events as they relate to customer interests and needs
- Ability to learn St. Mary’s County Library policies and procedures
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, Library trustees, local government elected and appointed officials, community leaders, vendors, and citizens
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems (including hardware and software), current audio-visual equipment, and office machines
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent decision-making and problem solving skills with emphasis on personal responsibility and willingness to deal with issues at hand.
- Provides friendly, high quality customer service to Library customers under the direction of the Assistant Branch Manager, Information Services or Assistant Branch Manager, Youth Services. Performs a variety of information, reader’s advisory, collection, programming, and outreach duties.
- Assists customers in finding answers to a broad range of questions using Library resources and databases
- Guides customers in selecting appropriate materials for reading/viewing/listening
- Assists customers with technology-related questions and issues
- Plans and presents Library-related programs, events, classes, and tours
- Participates in the Library Associate Training Institute or attends Library and Information Science classes
- Performs other duties and participates in special projects, as assigned
HOW TO APPLY:
St. Mary’s County Library is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Law requires all applicants to show proof of identity and right to work in U.S.