Download eBooks, digital audiobooks, and magazines to a smartphone, tablet, eReader, or computer!
Maryland’s Digital Library, powered by OverDrive, provides downloadable eBooks, audiobooks, and magazines for adults, young adults, and children from many different publishers, compatible with iOS, Android, and Kindle devices, along with many eReaders. For the greatest selection, including content purchased just for Southern Maryland customers, please sign in before browsing.
Important Information and Getting Started:
- See which devices are compatible with the library’s downloadable collection.
- Having trouble getting started? View the Help page for tips on getting started and using the service.
- Check out ten items at a time, and have ten items on hold at a time. Magazines do not count toward your ten checkouts, nor do they need to be placed on hold. Magazines are always available.
- Choose your checkout period- 7, 14, or 21 days.
- Try the Libby app for your Android, iOS, or Microsoft device.
- Install the Libby app from your device’s app store.
- Open the app and find your library. You can search for St. Mary’s County Library, or enter your city or zip code.
- Login with your Library card.
- Browse the collection and borrow a title or place a hold.
- Borrowed titles appear on your shelf and will download to the app automatically so you can read offline. From your shelf, you can tap Read With to open a title to read in the app, or send the book to your Kindle.
- You can add additional library cards in the menu under Library Cards. The activated card is the one being used for checkouts and holds.
- See OverDrive’s Libby Help page for more information.
Current OverDrive users can continue to use the OverDrive app through 2022, but will be prompted to make the switch to Libby by the end of April 2023.
- Libby has the same collection of titles as the OverDrive app – it’s just a different way to access the same digital library collection. Libby is a fast and attractive digital browsing experience.
- Libby is compatible with Android, iOS, and Windows 10 devices. Libby is great if you just want to download a book to your phone or tablet.
- Compatibility with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Sonos speakers
- Kindle users can use Libby. You can let Libby know that you read e-books on your Kindle by tapping on the menu, and then on Download Settings. When you check out a Kindle format e-book, it will send it to your Kindle, rather than downloading the book to Libby.
- If you have library cards from different libraries, or want to see your family’s digital checkouts in one place, Libby makes it easy to switch between library cards or between different libraries. The best part is that all your digital checkouts from different cards and libraries are on the same shelf, so there is no need to switch between libraries or cards to read your books.