First, get a library card!
You’ll need a library card in good standing to access most of our services, including homework help, online resources, and borrowing books and other materials. Apply online for your library card.
Search the catalog for books and other materials
Checkout eBooks, digital audiobooks, and more for your computer or mobile device.
Need help with homework? Get live help from a tutor, available 2-11 p.m., daily
Need help with research? Chat with a librarian 24/7!
Research for Reports & Papers:
- African-American History Online – Provides information on the people, events, and topics of African-American history.
- Biography Reference Bank – covers over 500,000 people and includes over 36,000 images.
- CQ Researcher – research critical events and controversial subjects; includes pro/con articles!
- Explora for Primary Schools – designed specifically for elementary school students, this database provides access to popular full-text magazines for elementary school research
- Explora for Secondary Schools – makes it easy for students to research topics to find the most useful search results.
- History Reference Center – find articles and chapters from more than reference books, encyclopedias and non-fiction books, historical magazines, historical documents, biographies of historical figures, photos and maps, and historical videos.
- Science Reference Center – is a comprehensive research database that provides easy access to a multitude of full text science-oriented content.
- World Book Online – the #1 general encyclopedia and reference resource, plus “Research Guides” and a Science Fair section.
What to Read:
- NoveList K-8 – find fiction books for kids & teens; a great source for series, read-alikes and subject lists.
- TumbleBook Library – a collection of online, animated talking picture books.
- Mango Languages – foreign-language lessons in Brazilian Portuguese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Russian, Spanish, Arabic, English (ESL) and many more.
- LearningExpress Library – practice tests to improve scores on the SAT, AP Exams, ASVAB, and many other tests. Lessons and extra practice for your classes, too!
- Scholarships – Fellowships and Loans – College-bound? Find ways to pay your tuition with this resource.
Just for Teachers
- AskUsNow! School Toolkit introduces you to Maryland AskUsNow!, a virtual reference service. We provide answers to questions, offer research guidance, and supply help finding information online.
- Assignment Alert! Help us help your students by giving the library a heads-up about projects, required reading, and research assignments. With advance notice, we can gather additional books and materials, and help your students find and choose the best resources. Contact the Children’s Librarian at your nearest branch by phone or email.
- Have a question or special request? Want a librarian to visit your school? How about a field trip to the library? Contact the Children’s Librarian at your nearest branch by phone or email.