First, get a library card! You’ll need a library card in good standing to access most of our services, including homework help, online resources, and borrowing books and other materials. Apply online for your library card.
Search the catalog for books and other materials
Search for library e-Books for your computer or mobile device. Don’t forget to look under “free e-Book Classics!”
Get Live Homework Help, from a real live tutor. Available 2-11pm every day.
Get help from a librarian:
Use online resources:
Research for Reports & Papers:
- African-American History Online – Provides information on the people, events, and topics of African-American history.
- Biography Reference Bank – covers over 500,000 people and includes over 36,000 images.
- CQ Researcher – research critical events and controversial subjects; includes pro/con articles!
- History Reference Center – find articles and chapters from more than reference books, encyclopedias and non-fiction books, historical magazines, historical documents, biographies of historical figures, photos and maps, and historical videos.
- Literary Reference Center (LRC) – look up information about books, poems, authors, and literary criticism from ancient times to the modern day.
- MasterFile Premier – find articles from nearly 1,700 magazines as far back as 1975.
- Science Reference Center – is a comprehensive research database that provides easy access to a multitude of full text science-oriented content.
- Student Research Center – makes it easy for students to research topics to find the most useful search results.
- World Book Online – the #1 general encyclopedia and reference resource, plus “Research Guides” and a Science Fair section.
What to Read:
- NoveList K-8 – find fiction books for kids & teens; a great source for series, read-alikes and subject lists.
- TumbleBook Library – a collection of online, animated talking picture books.
- Mango Languages – foreign-language lessons in Brazilian Portuguese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Russian, Spanish, Arabic, English (ESL) and many more.
- LearningExpress Library – practice tests to improve scores on the SAT, AP Exams, ASVAB, and many other tests. Lessons and extra practice for your classes, too!
- Scholarships – Fellowships and Loans – College-bound? Find ways to pay your tuition with this resource.
Just for Teachers
- AskUsNow! Class Visit Toolkit explains how to set up a class visit for this online reference service as well as provides sample transcripts.
- Need something just a little longer? Teachers with school ID at can request extended loan periods or a higher checkout limit for library materials used for instruction.
- Assignment Alert! Help us help your students by giving the library a heads-up about projects, required reading, and research assignments. With advance notice, we can gather additional books and materials, and help your students find and choose the best resources. Contact the Children’s Librarian at your nearest branch by phone or email.
- Have a question or special request? Want a librarian to visit your school? How about a field trip to the library? Contact the Children’s Librarian at your nearest branch by phone or email.