Solicitation or vending of any kind is prohibited in any St. Mary’s County Library facility or on the premises. According to the lease agreement with the Commissioners of St. Mary’s County, the premises include the parking lot and grounds surrounding the building. The only exceptions are:
- Sales of library promotional material
- Friends of the St. Mary’s County Library or St. Mary’s County Library Foundation fund raising, membership drives and sales of promotional items
- Book sales sponsored by the library or Friends of the St. Mary’s County Library
- Vending machines contracted by the library
- Sales of books, works of an author or illustrator and audio-visual materials at library sponsored programs
- Educational materials supporting a training or continuing education program held in the meeting room; meeting room users are reminded that all non-staff areas in our facilities are open to all members of the public.
- Use of meeting rooms and study rooms for tutoring specifically related to formal continuing education
Non-profit and community organizations, advocacy groups and individuals who wish to distribute flyers, engage in petition drives or advocacy activities must be approved by the Director at least 2 weeks in advance. All such activities must not block access to library entrances or harass customers.
Exceptions to this policy must be submitted to the Branch Manager to be approved by the Library Director. Approval is at the sole discretion of the Library Director.